[TNS-list] Dyanthe's Weekly Letters: 12.2.19

Dyanthe Spielberg dyanthe at tnsny.org
Mon Dec 2 05:01:39 PST 2019

Dear Families,

This Friday is a TNS half-day for professional development.  During the
afternoon, we will participate in a process called descriptive reviews.
The descriptive process begins with immersion – observing a child or space
or activity.  It has a focus or focusing question that the presenting
teacher or administrator works out thoughtfully ahead of time and that
gives the participants a sense of how to listen and respond to the review.
The process is always collaborative. It has rules and roles necessary for
making the inquiry process democratic and inclusive, and for guaranteeing
respect and privacy for the individuals involved.  A review typically takes
about two hours. Descriptive reviews are a powerful way of opening up one’s
practice and learning from each other. Additionally, in a time of high
stakes testing, accountability and enforced standardization, we must ensure
that education starts and builds from the strengths of children and
teachers and values human capacity; descriptive reviews do just that.

This Week at TNS:

   -

   The Diversity Committee meets Tuesday after drop-off in the small
   cafeteria.
   -

   Wednesday, December 4 at 8:35 AM:  Amanda, our Speech-Language
   Pathologist will lead an informational session on “Sounds in Motion”,
   the literacy program implemented in our early childhood classrooms that
   promote phonemic awareness and early literacy skills.
   -

   The School Leadership Team meets Thursday from 8 - 9:30 AM in Room 314.
   -

   Lice Busters (http://www.licebustersnyc.com/) will do lice checks
   Thursday morning.
   -

   The ECO Committee meets Friday morning after drop-off in the small
   cafeteria.
   -

   Friday, December 6 is a TNS Half-Day.  Dismissal is at 11:45 AM.

Looking Ahead:

   -

   Dyanthe’s Morning Hour is Wednesday, December 11 after drop-off.  Join
   me for a discussion about the work our staff and students have been doing
   around gender this year and why it is crucial to our community.
   -

   The TNS Book Fair is December 12 - 15.
   -

   We have our first school ice skating trip for Dara, Shaquawn & Dianne,
   Caroline & Grace, Matt, Tiffany, and Joanne & Sofia’s classes on Friday,
   December 13.
   -

   The Holiday Fair is Sunday, December 15th from 11 AM - 5 PM.

School Lunch Options for December:

   -

   Week of December 2:  Alternative Menu Entrees
   -

   Week of December 9:  Classic Menu Entrees (12/9:  veggie tacos will also
   be served)
   -

   Week of December 16:  Alternative Menu Entrees

Warmly,

Dyanthe

--

tnsny.org