[TNS-list] Dyanthe's Weekly Letter: 12.9.19

Dyanthe Spielberg dyanthe at tnsny.org
Mon Dec 9 05:10:21 PST 2019

Dear Families,

What a busy and wonderful week at TNS!  There are so many events happening
that are unique to our school and reflect both our values and the rich
diversity of our community.

I am sharing a write-up from Emily, our Science teacher about her work with
some of our Kindergarten and 1st-grade students in the garden.  I do so to
illustrate the ways in which teachers at TNS are free* to create curriculum
and experiences that are both responsive to the environment and follow
students’ and teachers’ interests and passions. Also, notice the ways in
which Emily purposely integrates reading and writing (poetry!) into the
sciences.  She also shows how curriculum can reflect and teach compassion,
sympathy, and deep understanding.

*This creative and responsive curriculum does not happen at many NYC public
schools.  In most NYC public schools, the curriculum is circumscribed ahead
of time, without those children or their environment in mind, and is
designed to prepare students for the state tests.

I hope that you will have a moment to read Emily’s write-up and attend an
event at TNS this week.  This is a very special place and I feel very
fortunate to be a part of it!

This week at TNS...

   -

   The PTA Executive Committee meets Tuesday morning after drop-off in the
   PTA room.
   -

   My Morning Hour is on Wednesday in the PTA Room right after drop off.  We
   will discuss the work our staff and students have been doing around
   gender this year, why it is crucial to our community and future plans to
   make the 2nd-floor girls’ bathroom an all-gender bathroom.
   -

   Hip-Hop Open Classes for Families:  It’s time to share the work our
   children have been doing all semester!

Wednesday:  Joanne & Sofia, Tiffany, and Lindsey & Oli

Thursday:  Corinthia and Alexis, Caroline & Grace, Matt, and Chelsea and
Jane

   -

   Please join Cheryl for the HOUR OF CODE in the Library on Wednesday from
   3:45 to 6:30 PM.  Learn the basics of computer programming.  Play on-
   and off-line activities. All ages are welcome and no experience necessary!

   -

   The TNS Book Fair will be open Thursday and Friday from 8 - 10 AM & 2 -
   4 PM and Sunday during the Holiday Fair.

   -

   Dara, Shaquawn & Dianne, Caroline & Grace, Matt, Tiffany, Joanne &
   Sofia, and Alexis & Corinthia go ice skating on Friday!  We are going to
   Samuel J. and Ethel LeFrak Center at Lakeside Prospect Park at 171 East
   Drive in Brooklyn.
   -

   Popcorn Friday is this week.

   -

   The Holiday Fair and Artisan Fest are Sunday, December 15th from 11 AM -
   5 PM.  Please look for opportunities to volunteer... to set up, work a
   booth the day of, or clean-up.  This is a wonderful community event for the
   whole family and friends. I hope to see you all there.

Have a great week and see you at the Holiday Fair!

Warmly,

Dyanthe

--

tnsny.org